SPOILER ALERT!

Something that is bugging me right now

* Spoiler warning on this just in case. Nothing overly spoiler but I just never know anymore what is a spoiler and what isn't. *

I am reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and one aspect of it is really bugging me right now. About 110 pages in Cath turns in fanfiction as an assignment for her fiction-writing class. The teacher, as she should, has Cath meet her after class to discus  s this and basically calls Cath out for plagiarism, gives Cath a warning and an F on the assignment, which is pretty fair considering most colleges can basically kick you out for similar offenses.What bugs me is the fact that Cath actually tries to reason with her teacher that it is not in fact plagiarism.        Hmm,according to dictionary .com  plagiarism is defined  as "an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author." So Cath can go with that the storyline and the words are  her own original work,  but what she is plagiarizing is the "thoughts " aka the characters of another writer. Sorry, Cath that is plagiarism. The point of the assignments in her fiction writing class is writing original characters and stories. The teacher had ever right to call her out on using the characters of another author. If this was a fanfiction class she could get away from

it.

She has ever right to write fanfiction outside of class, but you can't expect to write it and turn it in as an assignment for a college literature course. How freaking stupid are you , Cath. Seriously! Later on her and Levi bring the topic back up again. He claims that it is "not exactly plagiarism". Ugg. Just how freaking stupid are these people? That would be like someone taking a paper written by someone else, using half of it ,and writing the other half themselves then claiming it all their own  original work.

The main point of all this is that Cath "borrowed" another authors characters to use in her story and tried to pass it on as original work. It isn't and I can't see how she can reason with herself that it is.

*edit: A bit later on Levi does see some late and says exactly what I said in that the class is not a fanfiction class. Thankgoodness.